Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Happy 6 month anniversary to me and running

Today is my 6 month anniversary of running. 6 months ago today I started the couch to 5k (c25k) plan. if anyone reading this has tried running but just can't "get in to it" or hasn't had success doing it their own way, please try couch to 5k! you wont regret it! i am so glad that i found this program and didn't quit running after last summers mishaps.

before i had even finished the c25k program this summer i had my eyes on another goal - a half marathon. my hubby, however, trying to be realistic thought i needed to be able to complete a 5k first before i set my sights on something that big. well, that just made me more determined!!! so i found a half i wanted to do and started working towards that. i picked the indianapolis half marathon which is ON my birthday. how awesome is that?!

i finished the c25k program in a little longer than the 9 weeks it is supposed to take bc there were some weeks i just couldn't get in 3 runs. then i started on jeff galloway's half marathon program. another awesome program to use after you finish c25k if you want to do some longer distances and/or if you want to aim for a time goal in a particular race.

running wise in the past 6 months i have completed several 5k's successfully (aka: i finished and didnt quit midrace) unfortunately i can't say that about last years season...., i completed one sprint triathlon, and in just 10 DAYS will be competing in my first half mary!!

other than running there have been a lot of changes in the last six months: i started a new full time job at centre college's library and started a new part time job on top of that at bate middle school's library (both of which i love!) high school swimming has started back up this week. i'm still the head coach, but bc of my work schedule will only be there part time. after 9 years, this will be my last year coaching. :( i'm going to miss it but the work schedule just makes it too hard to continue. i have found an assistant though that will take over as head coach next year.

needless to say i am busy, busy, busy!!! trying to get my workouts in is proving very difficult but once i get my schedule more regulated (i'm working around 2 schools fall breaks that dont fall the same week) i'm sure it will be easier.

for the next 6 months, after the half is over, i want to return my focus to 5k's and work on my speed. i have already signed up for one 5k at the end of the month and know of one in both november and december that i want to do. i also have a couple "big" races that i want to do either next year or the year after. check them out in the left side bar under 'race wish list'

dont forget to register for the sugoi shirt giveaway that will end tomorrow!

happy anniversary!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary!! Isn't it amazing how quickly the time goes by? You are going to do great in the half!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete