Thursday, October 4, 2012

.87 of a mile

Last night on my dinner break Jeremy and I took a walk.  Jeremy had just come for a run so he had his Garmin and we could tell how far and fast (slow) we had gone.  We walked for .87 of a mile and would have made it a whole mile but Jeremy's watch battery died so we stopped.  We did .87 in about 25 minutes.  I think this is the longest I have walked at one time in over three months.

There are a couple 5k's at the end of October, one on the 20th and the other on the 27th, that I really want to do.  I'm hoping I can build up to walking 3 miles within the next 2-3 weeks.  I'm going to try to walk on my non therapy days and on my dinner breaks when we have time.

Today at PT I asked the therapist to measure my calf because I think from all the walking at Bourbon Chase it has gotten bigger.  Well, my calf is still 2 inches smaller that the left one but I can tell it's a lot firmer than before. It doesn't jiggle like it did, so we are moving in the right direction.

There are a couple things at therapy that are very difficult, one of them is standing on my bad leg only trying to balance.  This is by far the most frustrating things I do because I can't go more than 10-15 seconds without having to put a finger down to balance out.  Another one that is frustrating is to put my feet on an inclinced piece of wood and try to bed my knees.  My right knee doesnt bend with my ankle in that position.  I know it will come back but it is still hard to realize that I can't do things that should be easy.

On another note the high school swim season starts back up tomorrow!  I am the asst coach again this year and am looking forward to this years group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment