Sunday, October 28, 2012

DNF

Saturday's 5K did not go as planned at all.  To start with it was cold and rainy, which are never great when going out to run or in my case walk.  Thankfully by the time we got to the park the rain had stopped. 

This was a large 5K, over 500 people, and by far the most unorganized.  We had to get in line to find out what our bib number was, then go to another person to get our bibs, then go to another person to get the chip tags for our shoes, then go to ANOTHER person to get our shirts.  Seriously??  We were preregistered!  Jeremy's dad, who had not preregistered, had the easiest time of all. There was no line at that table and he was able to get everything at one place. 

The race started about 10 minutes late because there were so many people still waiting to get their bibs and chips.  I started in the back, knowing that I was going to be slow even as a walker.  One thing I did like about this 5k was that over half of the participants were walkers!   I was actually passing people walking until the pain hit!  I was about .3 miles in and the sharp pain I had earlier in the week returned. It wasn't as bad, I could at least put weight on it when I put it down, where as before I couldnt' even do that.  I pushed through and debated whether I should quit or not.  The pain let up and I kept going, but had definitely slowed. The people that I had passed were now passing me back. 

After about a mile in the sharp pain had gone but now the whole top part of my foot was very sore. I had gone up a couple hills. I'm not sure if that is what bothered it since I have only walked on flat since the surgery. I wonder if the hills aggravated it by making it stretch in ways it doesnt like to do just yet. 

I got to a point where I could turn left and go back to the car/finish or turn right and keep going.  Jeremy was supposed to run his 5K, then come and run til he caught up with me so he would walk with me for the rest of the 5k.  It was getting about time for him to be catching up with me and I made the call that I wasn't going to be able to do another 2 miles with the pain.  I turned left and went towards the finish.  About .1 up Jeremy caught up to me and helped me back to the car. 

It is very frustrating since last Saturday I was able to walk 3.1, but I couldnt do it a week later. I go to the doctor on Wednesday where he will x-ray it just to make sure there isn't a screw backing out.   Hoping everything is ok and that it's just a random pain that will go away in time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment