Wednesday, June 30, 2010

last years defeat

last summer my husband, Jeremy, and i started running to train for the Shamrock Shuffle 3k in Lexington. i had never ran before and hated running with a passion! he had run in hs and college, never for a team, but just to stay in shape. so i decided "hey, why not?" well, we both did that race and i thought well i'll keep running and set a goal of being able to run a 5k by the end of the summer without stopping.


i didnt know about any programs to use except for jeremy's own program which was try to run as long as you can and then each time you run try to go farther than before. well.....i did that or at least tried to do that. i ran inconsistantly through the summer and did several 5k's. i never was able to really get in to it or stick with it. i had several bad race experiences. one of which was my goal was to break 40 min.. on the race that i was doing well on and thought I was going to be able to do it, the machine that they record times on as you finish ran out of paper, so my offical time was NA! that was a real heartbreaker for me! all that work and no time at all!


i took a break from running after that, but decided to Mid Summer Nights run in Lex. I had walked it before a few years ago and had a good time. Plus a lot of my friends and family were doing it too! Another miserable race! It was 90 degrees at 8:30pm, extremely crowded and humid. I should have walked it with Anna, my sis in law, but didn't and thought I was going to run the majority of it. Due to the horrible conditions, i ended up quitting midrace and walking back to the finish line in time to see my husband cross. i was very discouraged and said I would never run again in another race.


well that lasted for about 2 months, when i decided i was going to do a race on the road i grew up on and that my parents still live on. jeremy said he would do it with me and so we did. it was a good race, didnt go a great time but I was able to run the first mile without stopping. so there was victory in that!


that was my last official race of 2009. i signed up for a race in stanford in dec. but woke up to snow so decided to skip it and take pictures instead. which leads me up to 2010 and starting to run all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment