Monday, February 6, 2012

I've got skills...

Today I joined a master's swim team.  I have been on one before several years ago, but the coach left and no one picked it back up.  There's a new coach in town and he has decided to give it a go again.  The team, which consists of maybe 5-8 of us, swims Monday and Wednesday mornings at 5:30AM.  Due to my work schedule, I just physically can't do that, so I have worked out that I will go to the pool during open swim from 12:30-1:30pm when the coach will be there.  Getting special treatment already!

The rest of the team started two weeks ago, but due to my vacation today was my first day.  I was a little nervous about it, but more excited than anything.  I have learned to like running ok, but swimming is still my passion.  The coach started me off where the others had started two weeks ago.  After I did the warm up, he said "I see you have skills".  The majority of the practice was 50 drills.  During this time I got to thinking that the coach, who is a recent college graduate, wasn't even born yet when i first started swimming. Which happens to be when i was 5 and at the pool i was currently in. Made me feel old and nostalgic at the same time. 

 
Centre College pool - where I started swimming 27 years ago

 I felt good during practice but am now a little tired and super hungry.  Dinner can't get here soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment